get yourself a Cadillac and enjoy the ride

antares antares@euronet.nl
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:05:18 +0100

Michael said:
> I say: If you rely on an external device your tuning ear will=20
> eventually
> fall into a state of disuetude and suddenly you won't be able to tune
> without a device at all. This is why I only use the CTS-5 to "help"=20
> lay the
> bearings in just one 8ve. Then I turn it off and finish the job by=20
> ear. I
> have yet to have a call-back on my tunings.

Michael,
I beg to differ with you on this issue about ETD's.
I know actually many tuners here in Holland, but also abroad, who are=20
highly experienced aural tuners and who, nevertheless, now tune with an=20=

ETD.
In Holland I was among the first members of the then new Dutch Piano=20
Technicians Association (the VvPN) and I was also among the small group=20=

of these new VvPN members who created the very first tuning test in=20
Europe where you could test the tuning electronically with the aid of=20
an ETD (at the time a SAT) and a computer program, just like they have=20=

been done (and do) for a long time in the USA.

Let me tell you, it was not an easy task to do a tuning test and walk=20
away with a high enough score, and I have seen many colleagues who,=20
after they had proved their professional ability, were very proud that=20=

they had dared to do this risky test.
They had shown that they were able to make a very good tuning, and we=20
all know that there are many colleagues out there who are not capable=20
of making a tuning at that same level I just described.

Many of these 'tested' tuners now use a tuning device, myself included.
I have tuned too many piano's aurally, and I thank the electronic=20
tuning Deities for my beloved 'box'.
You know why?
Because my box creates for me a tuning of such high quality that it=20
will take me at least a Month's training of steady high-trapeze-tuning=20=

to reach the same accuracy.
But I would never be able to make money with it, because such a=20
fabulous concert tuning would take me hours, and afterwards I would be=20=

exhausted, whereas my ETD allows me to do the very same but within one=20=

hour, hello!
So my customers are happy because they can count on a very high quality=20=

tuning, and I am very happy because I don't get exhausted, don't have a=20=

lot of tuning stress, and I can, instead, concentrate on making=20
beautiful and strong unisons.

Especially somewhat older tuners, who have paid their tuning dues so to=20=

speak, go into their second tuning wind when they discover the ease and=20=

joy of a good ETD.
Because they have already tuned piano's aurally for many years, they=20
know very well how to tune a piano when the battery of their ETD is=20
low.
Some time ago, I came back from a short trip abroad, and I had=20
forgotten to charge the battery of my box, so the next day I had to=20
tune this very difficult Steinway belonging to this very difficult=20
customer.
To be honest with you, I got chagrined because it was late in the=20
afternoon and my energy level was down, and I was not looking forward=20
to having to do it again 'by ear'.
However, I of course tuned the thing and after only a few uncertain=20
minutes I was back full swing and was having fun, trying to do the=20
puzzle again for the zillionth time.

I can tell you something else :
Just because my ears have been sharpened by the superior ETD tuning, my=20=

musical hearing wants to duplicate the refined regularity that I have=20
been hearing for years through the use of my sophisticated ETD. So my=20
tuning ability has not gone away and has not lessened at all.
I feel very good that I can make a real good tuning even after having=20
used an ETD for years.

Again : there are many many excellent aural tuners in the world who, at=20=

a certain moment, just like me, have made a switch from aural to=20
electronic.
I think most of these will testify that  they have an easier life now=20
and that they enjoy making a superb tuning.
I am all for learning to tune aurally and then tune aurally for years,=20=

just to become well trained.

After that goal has been reached I would say : get yourself a Cadillac,=20=

and enjoy the ride.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek