get yourself a Cadillac and enjoy the ride

Daniel Schreffler invader@northlink.com
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:36:56 -0700

 Once upon a time I thought that I was a great tuner , then destiny, or =
luck brought me to Jim Coleman Sr. With his patients , big ears , and =
ETD,  I'm alot better.=20
I like to tune at least a couple  a week by ear , as I check it with Dr. =
Sanderson . That way I can keep the ear up.
PS I think back to times when I did not use a box and a new customer =
saying that the last guy used a machine and I won't have him back. I use =
mine anyway.
God bless
Dan   over and out....----- Original Messa......ge -----=20
  From: antares=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 4:05 PM
  Subject: get yourself a Cadillac and enjoy the ride

  On 10-feb-04, at 22:52, Michael Gamble wrote:

    Hello all
    Stephane said: "What I found most interesting in Verituner is that =
it lets
    YOU decide what
    is a good tuning. If you are not 100% satisfied with the tuning =
(style) the
    device achieved, you can put in your own parameters to make the =
tuning match
    your delicate ear. Interactive keeps a man awake."

  Michael said:

    I say: If you rely on an external device your tuning ear will =
eventually
    fall into a state of disuetude and suddenly you won't be able to =
tune
    without a device at all. This is why I only use the CTS-5 to "help" =
lay the
    bearings in just one 8ve. Then I turn it off and finish the job by =
ear. I
    have yet to have a call-back on my tunings.

  Michael,
  I beg to differ with you on this issue about ETD's.
  I know actually many tuners here in Holland, but also abroad, who are =
highly experienced aural tuners and who, nevertheless, now tune with an =
ETD.
  In Holland I was among the first members of the then new Dutch Piano =
Technicians Association (the VvPN) and I was also among the small group =
of these new VvPN members who created the very first tuning test in =
Europe where you could test the tuning electronically with the aid of an =
ETD (at the time a SAT) and a computer program, just like they have been =
done (and do) for a long time in the USA.

  Let me tell you, it was not an easy task to do a tuning test and walk =
away with a high enough score, and I have seen many colleagues who, =
after they had proved their professional ability, were very proud that =
they had dared to do this risky test.=20
  They had shown that they were able to make a very good tuning, and we =
all know that there are many colleagues out there who are not capable of =
making a tuning at that same level I just described.

  Many of these 'tested' tuners now use a tuning device, myself =
included.
  I have tuned too many piano's aurally, and I thank the electronic =
tuning Deities for my beloved 'box'.
  You know why?
  Because my box creates for me a tuning of such high quality that it =
will take me at least a Month's training of steady high-trapeze-tuning =
to reach the same accuracy.
  But I would never be able to make money with it, because such a =
fabulous concert tuning would take me hours, and afterwards I would be =
exhausted, whereas my ETD allows me to do the very same but within one =
hour, hello!
  So my customers are happy because they can count on a very high =
quality tuning, and I am very happy because I don't get exhausted, don't =
have a lot of tuning stress, and I can, instead, concentrate on making =
beautiful and strong unisons.

  Especially somewhat older tuners, who have paid their tuning dues so =
to speak, go into their second tuning wind when they discover the ease =
and joy of a good ETD.
  Because they have already tuned piano's aurally for many years, they =
know very well how to tune a piano when the battery of their ETD is low.
  Some time ago, I came back from a short trip abroad, and I had =
forgotten to charge the battery of my box, so the next day I had to tune =
this very difficult Steinway belonging to this very difficult customer.
  To be honest with you, I got chagrined because it was late in the =
afternoon and my energy level was down, and I was not looking forward to =
having to do it again 'by ear'.
  However, I of course tuned the thing and after only a few uncertain =
minutes I was back full swing and was having fun, trying to do the =
puzzle again for the zillionth time.

  I can tell you something else :
  Just because my ears have been sharpened by the superior ETD tuning, =
my musical hearing wants to duplicate the refined regularity that I have =
been hearing for years through the use of my sophisticated ETD. So my =
tuning ability has not gone away and has not lessened at all.
  I feel very good that I can make a real good tuning even after having =
used an ETD for years.

  Again : there are many many excellent aural tuners in the world who, =
at a certain moment, just like me, have made a switch from aural to =
electronic.
  I think most of these will testify that they have an easier life now =
and that they enjoy making a superb tuning.
  I am all for learning to tune aurally and then tune aurally for years, =
just to become well trained.

  After that goal has been reached I would say : get yourself a =
Cadillac, and enjoy the ride.

  friendly greetings=20
  from
  Andr=E9 Oorebeek