filling pinblock/"fitting" pins

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 21:19:54 -0500 (EST)

Assistant destrung upright & kept one sample pin for
me, #3. I tested a #5 on one note, felt really good.

   Happily stringing, everything feels great.
Do about 20 unison's, nice even tight feel.
suddenly the holes are bigger...allot bigger.
I can push the #5 in and out with my fingers.

   Happens there was more then one size used when
it was strung years ago....oops. assumptions strike
again.

   Considering the following......
swab holes with West System epoxy, or with
Webb Phillips Wood Rebuilder, put in undersize
pins while filler cures....remove undersize pin
and continue stringing. I know someone is going
to say replace the block....not an option this time
unless I eat it..$

   So comments on these options appreciated.

1) Above procedure with West System epoxy.
2) Above procedure with same epoxy mixed with
   a little hard rock maple dust...have a can
   saved from grinding pinblocks.
3) Webb Philip's product....wood rebuilder.
4) plug it up and re-drill.
5) And yes, for those that may say, "eat it"
   do the block and learn your lesson. Go
   ahead, I own a custom fit flame suit.

                        Cheers to the Esteemed list
                        Dave Renaud