longitudinal waves, MiniMens

Bernhard Stopper b98tu@t-online.de
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:33:31 +0100

Dear Marc & Isaac,

Longitudinal waves of strings produce transversal vibrations on the
soundboard caused by the bridgeīs back and forth movement. If this would not
be the case, one couldnīt measure or hear them. I think you donīt negociate
that they exist, in the sound samples it is the whistle you can hear. As
Isaac wrote, (he supposed it was the additional line below the 4.
transversal but heard it an octave higher. It is overlaid with the 13.
transveral, so that is indeed what you heard, (good ears Isaac, i am really
impressed... )

Measuring and separation of transverse and longitudinal harmonics were done
with a software spectrum analyzer (spectraplus, you can download a test
version at http://www.telebyte.com/pioneer/ ). A spectrum analyzer extracts
every frequency that is in a sound wave over time, no matter if it is caused
by a longitudinal or a transversal wave.

To interpert the spectra, just "count" the regular lines.. there are 39
transversal waves, and the first longitudinal wave (at about 712 Hz) is
overlaid with the 13. transversal (a little thicker line) The various
additional lines (mainly around the mid of the spectrum) are caused by the
blank ends,  the wave propagation is faster on that part of the string what
results in splitting up several harmonics.

to ask for a MiniMens Audio demo (the string simulator) and more information
on the MiniMens program look here:

http://www.piano-stopper.de/homepe.htm

best regards,

Bernhard Stopper