Verituner

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:25:41 -0700

Dan,
As a tuner working to progress from machine assisted amateur associate to
an RPT I have found earplugs very helpful in sorting out what partials I
need to be working with in order to lay the bearings by ear.  I heard too
many (some faint) to decide which to work with before that.  Guy Nichols
recommends Ear Filters which are utilized by hearing conscious rock
musicians (there are a few).  These apparently successfully reduce decibel
levels without overly compromising sound detail.  They are generally a
special order item at your local electric guitar and drum store.  I didn't
get them ordered in time for a week long tuning gig I did in an unserved
corner of Texas where all the pianos required pitch-raises (10-120
cents).  After the first day I went to the local drug store in desperation
and bought regular ear plugs figuring I would remove them for the fine
tuning pass.  I could hear the fundamentals loud and clear and the lower
partials so I risked it and kept them in for the second pass.  I always
remove them for a last playing pass of chromatic scales of thirds, fourths
and fifths.  I was surprised how few of the unisons I did retouch.  I still
have to order those darn ear-filters though.  You'd think a piano supply
house would pick them up.

Andrew
Las Cruces, NM