Rock Maple Hammer Cores

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:31:56 +1100

André,

>English is not my native language and I am not a
>wood expert I want to ask you what you have
>against rock maple.

I have nothing against maple for many uses in
piano manufacture, but I believe there are more
suitable woods for hammer cores.

>Steinway Hamburg has maple these days for their
>hammer moldings and we do many hammer changes
>with these maple hammers.

Yes I am aware that they are using maple, but I
haven't played any of these instruments yet. I
also understand that the current Ds have lighter
hammers than previously, so the felt must be
considerably lighter since the core wood is
heavier.

>I must say I like these hammers but I like them
>especially because they have a fine quality
>Wurzen felt.

It is possible that a more resilient felt might
allow for a respectable tone from maple cores,
but my preference has been for hammers with cores
of Walnut or Mahogany, on account of their
lighter density.

>My ears are ok and I trust my musicality

I don't doubt you.

>Does Steinway Hamburg use a different kind of maple?

It is possible that Steinway are not using rock
maple for their hammer cores. They might be using
European maple, otherwise known as Sycamore,
botanical name Acer pseudoplatanus. Visually,
these two timbers look almost identical, but
Sycamore has a lighter density (0.6 gr/cc) than
rock maple (0.7 gr/cc).

>I highly value your experience and would
>appreciate it if you could tell us what you have
>against rock maple.

My early experience with Hormbeam cored Imadagawa
hammers put me off using hard core wood for
hammer cores. You could voice these things
forever and they still screamed at you, similar
to the early series Kawai KG hammers. I
understand that hammer manufacturers have to be
very careful when pressing up hammers made with
lighter cores such as Walnut or Mahogany. I
suspect that when using maple (or hornbeam)
cores, it is possible to load them up to the max.
in the press without fear of damaging the
core-wood. Furthermore, you can imagine how much
compressional pressure there must be right at the
apex of the core. A softer core wood provides for
for a level of 'give' under the highly compressed
hammer felt. This may go some way towards
explaining why hammers with maple or hormbeam
cores are generally so bright.

Ron O.
--

      OVERS PIANOS