Yeah!!! Political Questions ( very OT - feel free to delete )

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Thu, 12 Feb 2004 11:33:56 -0500

MessageHi Alan,

>> Bravo! Brilliant! Sadly, the people who need to read your comments, =
thoughtfully, will not. And they know their arguments are bogus, anyway. =
They just don't care about truth. Hatred blinds the terrorists. Hatred =
blinds half our nation, too, it seems.

That's the interesting thing.  Usually political rhetoric *is* bogus -- =
on both sides.  The side out of power rails against the side in power, =
using far-reaching statements that strain at the truth, if not =
circumvent it altogether.  Meanwhile the side in power chants a mantra =
of far-reaching praises for their leader that are equally stretched.  =
What's more, both sides *realize* they are straining at the truth and/or =
departing from it entirely.  I've never seen an election year in which =
this didn't happen -- until this one.

As a friend of mine and I read through the very clever "Presidential =
Resume," we were both struck by the facts that (1) as far as we knew, =
nothing in it was untrue (* but anxiously awaiting Rob's rebuttal), and =
(2) there were a few items we could think of that the author neglected =
to include!  It's truly amazing, when you add it all up!  Yes, the =
resume was somewhat redundant, perhaps stretching a list of, say, 35 =
items to a list of, say, 50 items.  However, nothing seemed incorrect =
about it at first glance.

While those discontented with the current leadership (including Dems, a =
minority of Reps, Libertarians, all minorities, clergy, yada, yada, =
yada) rattle off a series of understandable grievances, Bush supporters =
shrug and say, "Yeah, but in times like these, I don't think anyone =
could do any better." =20

Then do these Bush supporters spout off glowing praises of their =
imperious leader?  No.  All they do is to grumble about Bush critics, =
while muttering, "Lies, lies, all of it lies!"  Tempered criticism of =
those "damned Liberal Democrats" is about all I hear, if that.

This is a very curious election year indeed.  Other dynamics seems to be =
surfacing -- those of guilt and good sportsmanship.  Legitimate =
criticisms of Bush are so glaringly obvious that pointing them out is =
rather like hunting defenseless lions and tigers at the zoo.  I think it =
will be interesting to see how Kerry (?) plays his cards.  He will of =
course need to shoot those lions and tigers, but can he do it in a way =
so as not to offend the people who cast their ballots for Bush in 2000?  =
I think there may be a sympathy factor for the defenseless animal caged =
at the Whitehouse.  Even though it may be a ravenous beast that has =
killed thousands of people and brought ruin upon its captors, it may be =
viewed with the same guarded sympathy as, say, Saddam Hussein.  Remember =
how pathetic that murderous monster looked as medics were examining it =
for parasites?  Bush is a quick learner and is using the same strategy =
to garner sympathy, IMO.  Remember how pathetic Bush looked when =
defending his decision to invade Iraq?  Notice the posture?  The tilted =
head?  The tilt of his eyebrows?  The tone of his voice?  Brilliant!  =
Bravo!

This may well evolve to be the first gentlemanly campaign in modern =
history.  Or it may be the same Jerry Springer slug-fest that prior =
elections have been.  This should be a *very* interesting election to =
watch!

Rob, as someone who values the truth, I would love to see what you found =
about the claims on the resume.

Dave, sorry about not deleting the lengthy text before replying.  Very =
bad form.  I usually don't do that.

Peace,
Sarah
Fiscal Conservative