OT stuff, archives

Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:24:16 +0100

Dave Nereson wrote:
> [...]

No, not MY idea. Not an idea or an opinion at all really. A simple
observation. People converse... what can I say. If you want my OPINION
on the matter I can offer it to you... not that that makes any
difference to reality mind you... but just so... here it is. Legislating
peoples behaviour has been tried and found lacking I believe.

> Or do you mean we don't "get" some universal
> consensus of what should be allowed in these discussions?  Oh, there IS no
> universal consensus?

Of course not... which should also be evident since there are several on
both sides of this question, and the usual silent majority whoes
opionions on the matter vary as well.

> Then why is it a PIANOTECH list?  (I don't mean to
> shout, but I don't think this e-mail program does italics or underlining
> Why was it created under the auspices of PTG? (pianotech @ ptg.org).  Why
> don't we just call it anythinggoes@ptg.org?

Thats cool.. I know you well enough from your posts David and you amoung
the polite guys :)  Its called PIANOTECH... because its an appropriate
name for the list. Thats what we talk about most.. thats our primary
reason for being her. Anything goes would not invite piano folks so
naturally.

>     Yes, we can stray from the subject at hand now and then.  A little.  And
> very briefly.  If it's going to go on and on, change the subject line.  Go
> to a different discussion group.  Send the message privately.  But don't
> fill up the PTG PIANOtech archives with long rants, fluff, cutesy
> one-upmanship, etc. etc.

Now THIS is where we enter the realm of opinion. I dont share this
FWIW... (except the archives bit) simply because I dont really see that
its so awrully practical. The list will self-regulate as it has... with
these kind of blow ups quiting everything down from time to time and
thats the way it is. OR you can get a moderator to kick off whoever <<
gets judged >> with all that entails.

> A separate list for happy hour-type banter could
> be formed for that.

There are other lists... no.. I think we should pretty much deal with
the archives problem and otherwise let people be people. Regulating
peoples behaviour has never been all that great an alternative to
getting what you want out of them.

> <<Lately it seems that adding "OT" is an excuse to post anything.  I feel
> this has really lowered the quality of the list content.>>
>    Amen!
> <<. . . .when someone (including one of us) comes to
> search the archives of the piano experts, they get the off-topic stuff
> as well.  That's a big shame in my opinion.>>
>  And in mine also.

I agree that this stuff, and much more, has no purpose in the archives
and simply makes using them more of a chore then it should be. I do not
agree that attempting to censor list participants in any other way then
we already do is the way to go about it, and have suggested at least one
perfectly viable alternative towards addressing that question.

>      --David Nereson, RPT

Cheers David

RicB