Puzzler: instant rust (the fix?)

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:45:03 EST

In a message dated 2/13/04 10:46:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
741662027@charter.net writes:

> Is there anything practical to be done to the strings on this new piano, in
> the customer's home?  I've heard white Scotchbrite pads can remove
> corrosion, or fine steel wool (rinsed in lacquer thinner first to remove oil)...

Cy,

I've used Polita(available from Schaff and undoubtedly other supply houses)
to clean corrosion off of strings before.  I'll give y'all a full report when I
make my next trip by the house in a couple of weeks.  I'll give myself enough
time to try a few different things.

People have also posted advice for drill bit attachments for getting the rust
off of pins.  I can't remember exactly what people have used, so if anyone
out there has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Dave S.