Puzzler: instant rust (the fix?)

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:48:19 +0100

Hello,

I used to clean the external of the strings with some gum and
abrasive, or scotch brite, or steel, but doing that the string no
longer is round, nor the same weight up and down, and the tone
sometime is not better (not to say it is worse) after the rust is gone
from one side only.

I've find very fine sanding linen (around 1000 grit) and use it where
is possible to clean all around string by string, it is tedious and
long.

I've heard some anti corrosion products could be used, non oily ones
indeed, but I am unsure of the result, did not really try.

On very old and worn piano under bad condition, I'd use WD 40 cleaning
to stop the rust, it works well, but tend to attract dirt of course,
probably a good washing with a solvent is due some time later. It
saved some old instruments from too numerous string breakage I believe
anyway.

Buffing with a leather strip and "red rouge" , or Tripoli is the
method instructed for historic instruments , dampers out, you see the
problem ...

BTW I get your post in "text" form, I believe that if no picture is
inserted, no need to keep HTLM, it cloag the digests, was just a mark
in the "format" menu in outlook before sending.

Best regards.

Isaac OLEG