D-C 25 watt rods

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 16:51:56 -0400

Hi Greg,
25W concentrated in a short bar would feel hotter than, 25W in a long =
bar.
Just think, one has more area to heat, and greater dissipation, so feels =
cooler. The shorter bar has the heat concentrated, and would feel =
hotter.
I saw a picture of an 8 cylinder motorcycle, it was the same engine as =
powers some cars. I would think that as a motorcycle, it would appear to =
have more power, than the same engine pushing a car.
Best regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Newell=20
  To: Ruth Phillips ; Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 3:20 PM
  Subject: Re: D-C 25 watt rods

  Listers and Listees,
          Thank you for the feedback. While it is not as much discussion =
as I had hoped it, I believe, had the desired result. While Ruth =
Phillips mentions below that the 25Watt Rod was discontinued as a system =
staple I have to disagree. The part number G6PS (top item on page 22 of =
the Jansen catalogue includes both a 2' and a 4' 25 watt rod. I also =
disagree with others that posted (Don I think it was) who said that the =
two rods producing very different amounts of heat would not necessarily =
produce an imbalance. I paraphrased to clarify my point but I can't see =
how it could be anything but. Don's argument was that I did not take =
into account convection currents. It would seem to me that if one was =
too hot to hold and the other could be held all day being only luke warm =
then any convection currents would be more in the category of WIND to =
not produce an imbalance. I can agree with others who have posted that =
they never noticed any problems. Neither have I. Even though the two =
bars produce an entirely different amount of heat they are not =
necessarily doing damage. It seems that it could certainly be said, =
however, that they are not doing the best job possible. Any further =
thoughts?

  Greg