Yam C7 Loose tuningpins

Fri, 13 Feb 2004 22:45:25 +0100

Ive seen several cures for this suggested through the years. But the
best I've run into is to <<brush>> up the hole with a steel brush... the
kind that can be mounted in a drill. The brush needs to be  very near
the same diameter of the hole. And you dont want to do anything more
then rough up and clean the surface of the wood. So just a couple quick
shots at high speed, moving up and down. Repin one size up and all is well.

Every time I remove a sticky jumpy pin and inspect the inside of a hole
it shows a dark brown glaze over significant portions of the surface the
  pin is supposed to grip. There are probably several possible causes.
Bad drilling... something in the wood at that area... perhaps even some
foreign substance (liquid) getting in the block. I'm not sure how
important it is to know the cause, as long as one can insure a cure.

Cheers
RicB