String breakage

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 23:40:15 +0100

Possibly as the silent models have a very long letoff and subsequent
loss of power compensed by subsequent voicing, when played normally
the strings are producing too large moves to have enough volume, and
this is giving them early fatigue.

Was never very happy with the "silent" pianos because of their 1.2 cm
letoff or 1/2 inch (plus the problems that arise when it is
unregulated and the action is blocking lightly in silent mode, causing
a fast wear of the leather knuckles).

I know a few professional that bought those pianos sell them after a
few years, when the hammers don't allow enough dynamic and playing is
restrained.
The grand model is a different story , very ingenious, I heard that on
the verticals the letoff can be regulated nearer these days, but still
it is compromising the touch I guess.

???

Isaac