D-C 25 watt rods

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:14:29 -0500

Hi Ron,
         Well, it does seem counter intuitive to me that such a difference=
=20
would have no appreciable effect but I see your point about the humidifier=
=20
tank and it's attempt at even distribution. When next I see the piano I=20
will report what I find about the relative temperatures of the wood itself.=
=20
Thanks for your insight.

Greg

At 03:22 PM 2/13/2004, you wrote:

>>  I paraphrased to clarify my point but I can't see how it could be=20
>> anything but. Don's argument was that I did not take into account=20
>> convection currents. It would seem to me that if one was too hot to hold=
=20
>> and the other could be held all day being only luke warm then any=20
>> convection currents would be more in the category of WIND to not produce=
=20
>> an imbalance. I can agree with others who have posted that they never=20
>> noticed any problems. Neither have I. Even though the two bars produce=20
>> an entirely different amount of heat they are not necessarily doing=20
>> damage. It seems that it could certainly be said, however, that they are=
=20
>> not doing the best job possible. Any further thoughts?
>>
>>Greg
>

>Hi Greg,
>Maybe an imbalance, but how fine a split is too much? Considering that the=
=20
>humidifier doesn't distribute precisely the same temperature and humidity=
=20
>level to all areas of the board at once doesn't keep it from working quite=
=20
>well on average. Holding your hand on the soundboard directly above both=20
>bars, feel the difference in heat. Not in what the rod is producing in air=
=20
>currents, but the temperature of the wood. I haven't tried this, so I'd be=
=20
>interested to hear your impression of what you feel.
>
>If the hot spot above the rod is a problem, why don't we install the rods=
=20
>parallel to and centered directly under the beams, using the beam as a=20
>diffuser? I've been wrong before, but I suspect Don's right, and there=20
>isn't much difference in soundboard wood temperature directly above those=
=20
>two rods.
>
>So many things that we worry about aren't really a big deal in practice,=20
>and so many of the things we are utterly unconcerned with are too=20
>important to ignore. We may never know which is which, but we can keep=20
>turning over the rocks trying to find out what we can.
>
>Ron N

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Fort=E9
mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net=20