ABS Parts (was RE: First sighting)

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:31:48 +0100

Hi,
I only see one Shigeru action and it was having this defect, I lightly
sanded the edges, so I can't tell, was sort of burrs, but what strikes
me most was that the levers where noisy  (I was expecting a self
lubricating ABS) treated with Teflon powder with good enough results.

The ABS parts are similar in shape and function than wooden parts
Birdseye, flange and bushings. The bushing swell with humidity change
while the flange does not change size, so the cloth may be specially
conceived to accept compression and the opposite. I am unsure it is
really the case, Kawai is not synonym of very good cloth and felts to
me, for some reason (see the Boston hammers)

The carbon jack may be very stable in time, light and accurate, I also
noticed it can be noisy , may be the rollers are artificial leather
also (most probably) as for Yamaha, and that makes too much synthetic
on synthetic contact paths ? Yamaha rollers and backchecks are very
good for one - and they are not leather so not all synthetic parts are
equal.

It can be a psychological impression, but as yet those action with
aluminum rails have something in the tone I don't like the most, this
plus Abs , I feel when playing like if I have something unlived
between the strings and my fingers (and I really hear the plastic
"thump" of the damper levers as something not in its place in a
piano).

Probably just me , but it happens others as well !

Greetings.

Isaac

This apart one can make pleasing music with these pianos anyway, all
depends of the player !