Trip Charges - when to apply and why

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:28:37 -0500

I don't charge mileage based on distance for normal service calls. Like =
most, I try to group my appointments together for the various areas I =
service. I figure if I drive a long way to several appointments, that is =
simply what my schedule demands. However, if someone needs their piano =
serviced ASAP and I don't have any other appointments in the area, i.e. =
I have to make a special trip to that appointment, I charge $30/hr. =
travel time.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Phil Bondi=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 7:08 AM
  Subject: Trip Charges - when to apply and why

  Hello to all.

  I am going to open a dialogue regarding trip charges. I have =
personally been avoiding this charge since day one, and I am starting to =
think that this type of charge needs to be applied in some cases. If you =
read on, I'm hoping you can offer some insight.

  -I got my break in this business doing dealership work..floor tunings =
and warranty tunings. The dealership doesn't care where they sell to, so =
there are times when I go a long ways to do a warranty tuning(my price =
to the dealership recently went up for this work, regardless of locale)

  -The growth in this part of the country is starting to migrate north =
of me - approximently 30 miles from my home and beyond.

  -I know what you're thinking: Establish a 'territory' when trip =
charges don't apply, and go from there.

  -For those that charge trip charges, is there a set fee or does it =
change in regards to the mileage from the home?

  -Let's say I have 2 appts. in Tripcharge City. The 2nd appointment is =
10 minutes away from the first appt. Do you apply a trip charge for the =
2nd appt.? - and is it the same as the charge to the first appt.?

  -Would you start to apply a trip charge to those in Tripcharge City =
that have been customers for awhile?

  -I tend to wrestle with this kind of stuff and perhaps dwell too much =
on it - but I do want to be fair to my clients and especially to myself.

  I look forward to your comments.

  Phil Bondi (FL)