Optimum Bridge height

Sun, 15 Feb 2004 00:28:49 +0100

David Love wrote:

>Okay, let me be more specific.  I'm replacing a soundboard on a Steinway M.
>I'm replacing the pinblock first.  The original block tapers down gradually
>so that the treble side is about 1/8" thinner than the bass side.  This
>corresponds to a similar change in original string height from tenor to
>high treble.   Since I am replacing the board and bridges (new caps on old
>root), I don't see any reason to duplicate this pattern exactly or why the
>top end treble shouldn't have the same string height as the tenor.  Unless,
>the added thickness that will result at the treble end of the bridge is of
>any significance.   Am I wrong to ignore this.
>
>(BTW Ric B.  not every answer about tone is based on pure subjectivity)

Well... any disscussion about optimal tone or optimal sound then has to
be pretty darn precisely defined to avoid mixing up subjectivties into
the discussion. Inevitably you have to clear off the table all that side
of things before you can have any really meaningfull discussion about
tone issues. And frankly.... once that table is truly cleared... there
isnt a whole lot of quantifiables left to speak to.

The question you pose above, is far more specific... and will allow you
a much higher chance of getting the answer you are looking for....
which, by the way.... being clearly in the realm of the piano
builder.... is out of my ball park... grin... so I will defer to those
who have much more knowledge of such things then a humble pledge like
myself.

Cheers
RicB