Plywood shrinkage??? Laminated soundboards???

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:40:34 +1100

Hi Sarah,

I would like to add a couple of comments re your observations,
additional to Del's recent post.

>My friend and I were examining some antique furniture, figuring out
>how we are going to restore it.  I noticed that many drawer bottoms
>in several pieces were made of thin plywood and, further, that the
>plywood panels were almost universally shrunken by perhaps 1% of
>their original size (e.g. 1/4" over a 25" span).

The draw bottoms were most likely not coated with any finish to slow
moisture transmission, and secondly they would be manufactured from
material which was sliced through the flitch, so the grain
orientation would be almost certainly 'all over the shop'. I don't
believe that one should 'draw' any conclusions on the expected
performance of a laminated sound board panel based on the shrinkage
you observed.

>   Moreover, the greater shrinkage seemed to be in width, rather than
>in length, with regard to the direction of the grain of the outer
>veneer.

Yes you would expect this, since the draw base was probably of three
ply construction with the outer laminates running parallel to the
sides, with just one centre lamination running across. The greater
shrinkeage therefore would be against the center lamination.

In a solid wood piece the shrinkage would be more pronounced across
the grain. In the laminated 3 ply piece the 2 outer plies will be
trying to shrink against the 1 inner ply, while the 1 inner ply will
be trying to shrink against the long grain of the 2 outer
laminations. Clearly, the two outer laminations will have greater
success at contracting the long grain of the inner lamination.

Returning to laminated sound boards, I believe that to reduce
shrinkage the laminations should be made from quartered material, and
the panel should be sealed all over. I have seen pianos where the
upper surface of the sound board was coated purely as a cosmetic
measure, since the suspended bass bridge had unsealed sound board
exposed on the underside of the bride apron. The uncoated area would
act as an effective moisture conduit to ensure poor tuning stability
in the bass. For the same reason the bridge notching and bridge tops
should also be sealed. We mask off the inner rim to sound board
gluing area (as is common) before spraying the underside of the
board, and when installing the board we apply glue to the rib
mortices and all around the rib ends (completely covering all
previously masked areas). Although our ribs are clear of the mortices
at the sides as well as the bottom of the cutout, we apply glue to
ensure that the entire sound board area is sealed. The set bolt holes
are sealed  also.

As Del mentioned, all laminated panels should be rib crowned. A few
on this list have relayed comments from manufacturers who have
claimed that RC boards are tonally inferior to CC boards. Often
laminated panels have been lumped in with similar criticism. Based on
our own experience at this time I do not accept these claims. I would
be very surprised if those claimants have actually built a RC
laminated board as a comparison (I haven't actually built an example
of each either, but I've worked on compression crowned boards for
almost my entire 29 years working on pianos). I suspect that their
comments are based more on a perceived need to criticise any method
which is different to the one they are currently using and have
always used.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY