"other voices, other rooms" OT

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:31:29 +0100

On 15-feb-04, at 2:11, David Skolnik wrote:

> Andre -

David -

> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.=A0 Do you see this=20
> specifically as an American societal problem?=A0 (How could that be=20
> possible?)

No, I have not mentioned the words "American  societal problem", nor=20
the word "problem".
I have literally said "and this list is in origin an American list", by=20=

which I meant to say that it (the list) has originally been started, a=20=

long time ago, by American technicians for American technicians in the=20=

first place. Other subscribers from other countries were allowed and=20
admitted.
I came in much later and have been a subscriber on and off for maybe=20
7-8-9 years? I don't know exactly anymore how long ago it was.

> But, more to the point, what are the list rules that seem to you to=20
> have suddenly changed?=A0=A0 Since you wrote this above my own post, =
I'm=20
> wondering if there is something I said to elicit your response.

Well, you mentioned my name in an earlier email (Andre, David, Sarah,=20
Y'all-) and I therefor assumed that you reacted to my former email in=20
which I had said :

quote
"I think one of the first reasons why, normally speaking, religion and=20=

politics and non related piano issues are not discussed on this list,=20
is because this is called a pianotech list.
In the past we have had fierce yelling, fist fights and flamings=20
because someone thought otherwise.
Secondly, quarrels over piano related stuff is one thing, but when=20
religion and politics are allowed, this list will probably be blow=20
itself up very soon.
I am ready to try new things, but in this case I don't think it will=20
succeed.
unquote

That has obviously caused a reaction from Sara Fox who said :

quote
'Nuff said, then.=A0 My sincere apologies for being OT.=A0 I've tried=20
keeping OT stuff to < 10%, on the whole, over time
unquote

Which made me feel lousy because I never ever had the intention of=20
being an intolerant creature. I am, on the contrary someone who, in the=20=

past, has been reprimanded here a number of times for my more loose=20
behavior.

Apparently, there is suddenly a need for a parallel OT list and I'll=20
try to adjust as fast as I can.
My reaction came only from the many reactions in the past, through=20
which the rules have been set for this pianotech list.
All those reactions from the past came forward because obviously a=20
consensus was needed in finding 'the middle of the road'.
Anyone, swerving to the sides was immediately corrected, and, as you=20
may recall, sometimes the stakes were high.
I personally can't stand public fights and heated friction, and have=20
often tried to come in between.

It appears to me that I now must learn to adapt to a more neutral and=20
less involved way of looking at pianotech e-mails and just regard it as=20=

an interesting piano forum with 'chat rooms' for more personal views.

Again : that's fine with me
And if I have offended anyone here than by all means, I'll offer my=20
apologies and will be quiet as a mouse.

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek

Amsterdam -
The Netherlands

0031-20-6237357
0645-492389
0031-75-6226878
www.concertpianoservice.nl
www.grandpiano.nl

btw David Skolnik, do you remember that I once visited you in NYC?
I asked this before, but you never reacted to my question.
Just wondering why................

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched