an analysis of downbearing, etc.

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 22:10:31 -0700

>Phil-
>I will try to find the information you mentioned.  Any idea as to
>the thread titles?

I'd try something like 'reverse crown'.

>  In the mean time, maybe I'm really suffering from something, but
>what is being said here?

All I think I've really said is that a reverse crown board won't
necessarily self destruct as some people seem to imagine.

>   That there is no particular need for crown and downbearing?

I think that's a good question.  And it's a question that I've asked
before and was asking recently in some posts of a couple of weeks
ago.  The explanation usually seems to be that they 'raise the
impedance of the board'.  One explanation offered is that the
downbearing is supposed to be making the board 'stiffer' without
adding to its mass.  Another explanation is that the string plane
sense.  Both of these may be true, or neither may be true.  I've seen
no convincing evidence either way.  And there won't be any without
some experimentation and data collection, which has not been done, or
the data not made public, to my knowledge.  Experience would seem to
indicate that in most cases (but seemingly not all), crown and
downbearing will result in a better sounding piano.  But I have no
explanations to offer at the moment as to why that is.

Another related question is, if crown and downbearing are needed on a
board of normal design, would they be needed on a board that was
designed based on what you learned from the experiments mentioned
above?

>   That the board impedance that was talked about very recently will
>exist whether the board is being compressed or tensioned?

I assume so, but I don't know.

>  Positive, negative bearing...it's all the same?
>
>David Skolnik

I don't know about that.  For one thing, it probably depends on
whether you're pairing said bearing with a positive crown or negative
crown board.

I don't really have any experience with reverse crown boards (at
least any that were designed to be that way), so I don't know if they
sound the same or behave the same as positive crown boards.  Maybe
saying they're the same would be inappropriate.  Maybe saying that
they both give pleasing results would be appropriate.  I don't really
know.  I'll have to wait until I hear one.

Phil Ford