Sizing the balance pin hole.. Rogers way

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:11:56 +0100

Hi folks

Just got done giving Jolly Roger's method for sizing balance pin holes a
wing. As some of you might remember he suggested some while back using a
balance pin of the same size as the ones in the piano in question in a
drill, and spinning out the hole more or less.

At the time I was a bit aghast assuming that this would result in over
sized pin holes... loose and very inconsistent.

I am here today to testify that if this piano is representative at
all... the method works great. Much better then I'd ever dreamed it could.

Actually... I had to use a pin just a bit larger then the ones in the
action to get any result at all. The action had 1.35 mm pins... and when
I tried a 1.35 mm in the drill... not a bit of help really.. keys
remained tight as could be. Pins were all polished and brand new... so
they were slick enough.  I used the 1.41 pin I got as part of the
Stanwood kit I bought a couple years back and got just a perfect fit
with almost no further adjustment. All that was needed was about a 3 -
5 second shot, moving the pin slightly in and out as it was turning.
Kind of burnishing the hole I guess.

On a very few I had to use the Yamaha tool to get that little extra so
the keys would just slide slowly down the keypin. None came out too loose.

I'm defiantly going to give this procedure a few more test runs.

Thanks Roger

RicB