Upright hammers

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:33:43 -0800

Greetings, List. I'm back after about a year of concentrating on my day job
as training manager at a bank. Just got laid off, though, so while seeking
another day job I am able to devote more time to piano work.

I have a client who has an old, old Chickering upright (maybe 1920) whose
hammers badly need replacing. He plays very hard and the striking surfaces
in the upper bass are worn down to the point where what is striking the
string is about 3/4 inch of grooved hammer felt. Can you recommend the best
source for replacement hammers? I read somewhere that older uprights tend to
have lighter hammers than more recent manufactures.

The client is completely in love with this piano as it sounds NOW, and keeps
asking me how the tone will change when it has new hammers. He obviously
wants the best for his baby but does not want its special qualities ruined.
What words can I use to describe how it will change?

Thanks in advance
Jason Kanter

jason kanter * piano tuning * piano teaching
bellevue, wa * 425 562 4127 * cell 425 831 1561
orcas island * 360 376 2799