yamaha p-22

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 21:37:19 -0600

At 9:42 PM +0000 2/17/04, richard.ucci@att.net wrote:
>... The client wants the Yamaha to play like the Steinway.
>I have tried lead weights on the keys, but that isn't doing it for
>him. Any thoughts?

Rick,

Actually, there is something you can do. Something I did on a Baldwin
Hamilton just last year.

A player who is a senior piano performance major wondered if I could
make his Mom's piano at home have a more heavy touch like the 9'
Steinway D at the university that he dearly loves. Of course,
initially, I felt it was a fairly absurd request in my mind, but
after some consideration on location, here's what came to me to do,
and what I did to satisfy the situation.

Removed the stop felts on the hammer rest rail, thereby increasing
the hammer blow distance to at least 2 1/4". Then I adjusted the
capstans so the jacks would return once again under the hammer butts.

Because of the two simple acts, he is one very happy camper!

There are other adjustments that are affected should you do the above
changes. You need to check and readjust if absolutely necessary the
damper spoon lift, let-off and/or key travel/dip.

Disclaimer: Doing the above out-of-specification adjustments may
cause premature wear on the parts of the piano.

Good luck,

Keith

Keith McGavern                                    Texas State Association
Registered Piano Technician                 SOONER SPRING SEMINAR
Oklahoma Chapter 731                                  March 11-14
Piano Technicians Guild                        http://www.ptg.org/tsa/
USA