Upright hammers

Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:39:53 -0800

If he plays very hard I would put on Ronsen Bacon Felt hammers.  If he
likes it brighter, use their German felt.  Tell him that the piano will be
softer until the hammers "develop" as a natural function of playing (though
the German felt hammers will be plenty bright at the start).  A hammer that
does not have a pronounced flat spot on the striking surface will produce a
tone that is more focussed, i.e. cleaner and rounder with better sustain.
Someone who enjoys the sound that a hammer with 3/4" deep grooves makes may
be hard to convince of what good tone is.  In this case, I would probably
put on a sample or two, one around note 40 and one around note 60.  If he
has already agreed to putting hammers on then try and describe what will
happen and if that isn't convincing enough you will have to put on a
sample.  Build the putting on of samples into your price.    If you are
trying to sell the job, you will have to decide how you want to deal with
it.  On a grand it is quite easy to swap out a shank with a hammer preglued
(I usually carry a few around with me just for that purpose).  With an
upright, you have to take the time to remove a hammer or two, have a sample
that you can glue on (with the right bore) and then change it back when you
are done.  It does take time.  However, there is no better way, in my
opinion, to illustrate what a new hammer will do for tone than by putting
on a sample.

Of course, your old mentor, Sheldon Smith, was a strong advocate of
Steinway hammers on many different types of pianos.  I don't think that's a
bad choice either--though a bit more expensive.  You can get a very similar
tone with a Ronsen Bacon felt hammer and a little bit of lacquer.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net