hearts on fire

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:13:05 EST

In a message dated 2/17/2004 7:39:23 PM Pacific Standard Time, A440A@aol.com
writes:
Greetings,
   Maybe it was Valentines, maybe it was a fever, but in any event, I am now
the owner of a Sohmer grand piano.  It is the "Cupid Model".  Yep, the name
is
cast right there in the plate.
   Made in 1927, it has a slightly art deco case, perfect ivory, had has
never been played.  I have a buyer at 5 times my purchase price, so will be
restringing and probably putting in a block.  Nice looking board and good
sound.
However......
    This piano has agraffes on most of the treble bridge, set in a cut-out
notch in the front half of the bridge, which allows the strings to pass
through
the agraffe and also bear on the bridge itself.  Duh,  I have never seen
anything like this, but I bet someone on the list has. If so,  is there
anything in
particular that I should know or is it as straightforward as it looks?
Thanks,
      Ed
    Seen/worked on  a few & own one.  As often stated the sohmers are
frequently a salad bowl soundboard with positive bearing thru the agraffe design. It
doesn't seem to be complicated. The bass & treble usually have the usual
arragement of bridge pins. No trick ponies and the arrangement seems to work well.
It takes more time to string though.

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357