You vs. Them

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:09:49 -0800

Tvak@aol.com wrote:

> But, I ask again, how would you deal with this, I mean, while you're
> there, haggling.  At a certain point, I just gave up.  The money's not
> worth the hassle.  What would you all do?

My experience is that there are really very few clients out there who
are that aggressive about getting the lowest price, even among those
whose cultural habit it is to bargain. If someone wants to argue about
my prices, on the phone, I calmly tell them that I rarely discount my
prices, unless it's a charity case. I have the right to set my own
prices and they have the right to choose who services their piano.

In your case it sounds like the discussion happened after the work was
done. If you told her in advance how much it was going to cost and she
gave you the go ahead, I don't see how any reasonable person could
quibble about the amount of the bill. But she is obviously not a
reasonable person and the best thing is to have no further dealings with
her. You have the right to refuse the business of someone who is,
however unknowingly, trying to bring you grief.

You might also warn your colleagues about her unreasonable ways.

Tom Cole

ps: I just read Patrick Draine's advice about raising your rates. I've
done just that. The irony of someone complaining about my already low
rates makes me realize that it's time for a change.