Hot (hide) glue, etc.

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:02:08 -0700

Terry, if you're going to work on pianos, you have to have some =
knowledge on how to use Hide Glue. Period.  For some things, there's =
nothing as good. Cold hide glue is something which I wouldn't bother =
with, but you may hear differently from some others.  For dampers, I =
suppose you could use PVC-E, but then the next guy will curse you.

You don't have to buy a glue pot, you know. You can go down to Wal-mart =
and get one of those Revel, I think it is, "Hot Pots", the kind of thing =
that College students heat water up with, for about $15. =20

As for the tax forms, if I'm not mistaken, that's her problem, all she =
needs is an estimate of the market value. But this raises a good =
question..... Are you a non-profit organization?  What does she mean =
"donate" it to you?  You're going to pay taxes on it in order to get =
it?...

Talk to your tax person....

Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: pianolover 88=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 6:40 PM
  Subject: Hot (hide) glue, etc.

  What would be a good second choice for gluing hammers to shanks, and=20
  red-backed dampers to blocks? I've used Titebond (yellow) wood glue; =
is this=20
  a good alternate choice? what about "liquid" (cold) hide glue? (I =
don't have=20
  a glue pot, and have never used hot hide glue before, and won't have =
time to=20
  get the setup, so I need a second choice.)

  Also, I have a person wanting to "give"/donate their piano to me, and =
would=20
  like me to fill out and give them an "official" form for tax purposes. =
What=20
  kind of form should i use, or could I use my own standard invoice, =
showing=20
  the transaction? Thanks!

  PS: Everyone who'll be attending the CA State convention: Have fun!

  Terry Peterson