Rock Maple Hammer Cores

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:19:45 -0500

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> I've been hearing about the tonal characteristics of the various species of
> wood used for hammer moldings for something over four decades now. And,
> still, I remain unconvinced.

Del,

Some good points made in your post. It's true that, overall, the molding
wood is not as great a factor effecting the weight of the hammers as the
density of the felt. But in the high treble the wood is an important
factor. To get the hammers it this area to be as light as some of the
originals from pre WW2 you need as light a molding as possible. While I
  agree that the wood species does not bear directly on piano tone heavy
hammers can have negative effects both tonally and mechanically.

BTW even the lightest felt used today is at least 20% more dense than
the felt on hammers from the past.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin