Rock Maple Hammer Cores

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:49:32 -0500

Del,

One thing I have noticed is that maple and other smooth hardwoods
require more aggressive roughening of the tails to get them to check
right. With maple, birch and hornbeam a checkering file has to be used
to get it to check reliable over time. This ads significantly to action
noise. With sapiely, mahogany and walnut a light going over with a files
card or 50 grit sandpaper is all that is needed.

There's a bit more to selecting hammer molding wood than just strength
and density.

John Hartman RPT

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> I've encountered too many excellent hammers on old pianos using maple
> moldings appropriately to accept all this "modern" hoopla over the perceived
> tone qualities of one wood species over another at face value. Rather than
> fussing about the species of wood used in the hammer molding we should be
> pressing the hammer makers to give us hammers of lower density and greater
> resilience, shaped properly and using moldings of appropriate shape and
> cross-section.

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979