small piano key repairs

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:18:06 -0800 (PST)

New keys best. I wish someone made reasonably priced
keys for uprights. ( Do they????? ) You can take all
the keys out, scrub them with a potent cleaner, bleach
with oxalic acid,  then paint with epoxy paint,
masking off ivories with  blue masking tape, and
plugging the bushings with cheap bushing cauls. Ivory
color for naturals, black for shraps. Scrub, bleach
and paint keybed. No chlorine. Oxalic acid only (
actually, I've not tried the oxalic acid yet, but I
don't think it will cause the corrosion problems the
clorine does ).
     Piant keybed and rails. Put soda straws over
keypins to mask them of.
     This is the only way I have tried that is at all
successful in holding down the stench. But if you do
not replace the whole action and do all the belly work
the piano will still stink and be a serious heath
hazard, doue to absorption.
     Thump