small piano key repairs

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 16:48:52 -0600

Hi Don,
              Other than making a new key,  you can build up the chewed out
areas with  epoxy and wood filler.   I have made molds with Iron on
veneer.  Pour in the epoxy/wood filler mix leave 24hrs to dry. ( West
Systems products) Sand down the veneer or remove, depending if you feel you
need the extra strength.   Replace the key buttons as needed.   You may
need to use the adjacent key as splint to get the chewed up keys straight
and true with it's neighbors.
I have a Jaras jig to replace key buttons, if you need it.  Oh and plenty
of key button stock.  Will be in Regina next week.
If they are Basswood keys, you may have to add a lead to the fore of the BR
pin to counteract the weight of the epoxy.

Regards Roger