what is downbearing?

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 08:46:06 EST

In a message dated 20/02/04 7:11:23 AM, davner@kaosol.net writes:

<<  Supposedly.  Some pianos have no downbearing, yet still have plenty of

> volume and sustain. >>

Dave;
 What you say here is true in general much more than specifically....... :-)
Down bearing is a function of not just string pressure on the bridge/board
but also of the upward pressure exerted by the crown of the board. A board that
measured out as "flat" could still be exerting upward pressure on the
bridge/strings and thus be a viable instrument in your "Supposedly" context.

 I am not 1000% sold, 999.44% sold though :), on Del's "compression set" but
it certainly makes more sense than anything anybody else has come up with and
I use his thesis as 'my' working premise...that being said even a board which
has been 'damaged' by compression may be capable of providing very noice tone.
I think this has to do with extent of damage, original downbearing, etc.

 A board which might measure "flat" while strung may display considerable
crown when unstrung and it is this 'unstrung' crown which supplies the ability of
that particular instrument to produce a very acceptable performance in the
volume/sustain area.
 There are so many examples of pianos with little or no crown, including
those which actually were made with reverse crown, which sound very nice that
"downbearing" is just a portion of the total picture. Than there are the bridge
agraffe thingees, like Ed's little Sohmer grand which actually have 'upbearing'
in a portion of the scale and 'downbearing' in another portion of the scale
and these were/are not bad sounding pianos...but they do sound different than
what we are used to. :-)

 One of the things I appreciate about Baldwin's Accujust® sytem is that it
has allowed me to experiment, non-scientificallly, with down bearing and the
requirements therof. It always surprises me how little down bearing it takes to
produce a wonderful, if not optimum, sound.

 I belive it is the interplay of upward pressure of the board in conjunction
with downward pressure of the strings that is the main determinant of such
qualities as sustain and volume and this can not be a function strictly of either
downbearing or crown alone.
My thoughts.
Jim Bryant (FL)