A new used instrument

Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:46:15 +0100

Hi folks

The Grieg academy for Music here in Bergen takes possession of its brand
new Yamaha CF III tomorrow morning. In addition we received on lone 2
pianos from an American lady living here. One is a Mason and Hamlin
186(?) the other is a New York B.  I havent had a chance to fool with
the M&A yet.. but a quick check of the B showed actually quite vast
differences compared to the Hamburg B we have had all along.

Ok... The Hamburg has serial number 501XXX and the New York has 369XXX
so we have quite an age difference that has to be taken into
consideration. But still.. The New York hammers dont even resemble
anything I've ever seen on a Hamburg. These are original by all
appearances... quite heavily lacked and later needled down. Reshaped
several times. The action is really sluggish... feels like you are
dragging your feet through about 6 inches of wet cement.  Yet friction
taken as DW - UW / 2 reads out around 12 - 14.  Its a so called
accelerated action. Part of the deal is too get the touch to feel more
comfortable... lighter... so it will be fun to tear this action apart
and put it back together again.

Sound wise we are in completely different ballparks. I have a set of
Ronsens that have been waiting for the right piano to come along.. about
25 years old... still in the original sealed package.  Got them from my
brother Joe before he passed away. I also have the opportunity to buy
Hamburg Wurzens... which I have found quite pleasing on every count.
Honestly..... I am really tempted to put Wurzens on this, and not employ
lacquer in the voicing process. I just have this feeling that this is a
better way all around to go. I guess I am beggining to feel that that
Hamburg philosophy is more sound then the New York.

But.... as always.. I am doubtful... and would appreciate any and all
thoughts on the matter.

Cheers
RicB