Ivory keytops and PVC-E drying time

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 10:37:24 EST

Hi all,

Yesterday I had a keytop job that consisted of gluing about 25 ivory keytops
back onto an old Vose upright that once belonged to the mayor of San Jose, CA.

When he was a toddler, one of the boys had decided that it was fun to flick
them off.  At least they kept them...:-)  With the time I had alotted for the
job(about 3 hours), I was only able to get about halfway through.

I did much of my work outside, so as not to get too much mess in the house.
I think the coolish temperature negatively affected the drying time of the
PVC-E glue(with ti-dioxide), so that even though I clamped them for half an hour
or so, the edges started to lift a bit when unclamped.  What is normal drying
time for this glue?  I've used it before, and half an hour seemed to be plenty
to get the keytop firmly on the key.

So that I didn't have to redo my work entirely(and because it's a really old
piano that is likely on its last legs), I dripped some ZAP CA glue along the
edges that were lifting and held them in place for a few seconds.  That
actually worked really well.  Unfortunately, I the index finger of my left hand on E
44.  I remember reading on this list where someone actually used a mixture of
CA and PVCE.  Does anyone remember that thread?

Thanks,

Dave Stahl