A new used instrument

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:59:12 EST

 Richard writes:

<< the New York has 369XXX
so we have quite an age difference that has to be taken into
consideration. But still.. The New York hammers dont even resemble
anything I've ever seen on a Hamburg. These are original by all
appearances... quite heavily lacked and later needled down. Reshaped
several times. <<

    The hammers from the early '60's are often very poor. It seems that they
had lost control of the quality at the time and were making too many decisions
on a very individual basis. Some of this vintage also had a mix of teflon
back-actions with poor geometry and felt-bushed flanges elsewhere.  Junk the
hammers and shanks.

>>The action is really sluggish... feels like you are
dragging your feet through about 6 inches of wet cement.  Yet friction
taken as DW - UW / 2 reads out around 12 - 14.  Its a so called
accelerated action. Part of the deal is too get the touch to feel more
comfortable... lighter... so it will be fun to tear this action apart
and put it back together again. >>

Don't be surprised if the action plays better with lighter hammers on longer
knuckle distances.  Pay attention to the key leading, this vintage can get
slowed down with too much lead out there.
good luck.

Ed Foote RPT