what is downbearing?

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:09:47 EST

In a message dated 2/20/04 2:57:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
davidskolnik@optonline.net writes:

<< Jim -

 Just to clarify one or two points:

 At 08:46 AM 2/20/2004 -0500, Jim Bryant wrote:
 >  There are so many examples of pianos with little or no crown, including
 >those which actually were made with reverse crown, (JB)

 I keep hearing about these.  Could you tell me which pianos were designed
 that way? (David)

 Well if you are going to ask pertinent question which are both reasonable
and logical...we will have to not have this discussion! :-)
 Short note reply is no, not right off hand, as to the reverse crown thingees
but they were made in both Europe and the U.S.. I will endeavor to find the
answer and let you know...mostly cause I ought to be able to remember them!!!!!
:-(

 As to effectively flat/no crown boards on pianos that sound decent...they
are legion and cut across the spectrum. You put the name to one.....

 >  Than there are the bridge agraffe thingees, like Ed's little Sohmer
 > grand which actually have 'upbearing'
 >in a portion of the scale and 'downbearing' in another portion of the
scale(JB)

 Not quite.  As Ed Foote described it: (DAVID)

 Yes "quite" without regard to how Ed described it. Any downbearing on the
back of the agraffed bridge is a function of the upbearing on the agraffe and
not downbearing as we know and use the term. Ever seen a busted agraffe down by
the tuning web...Those little suckers just pop right on up there don't they?
Wellllllll that is what also happens on an agraffed bridge when one of them
break.
Could it do that if in fact there were any true downbearing present?

 Should the bridge crack and seperate from the ribs the upbearing will
'raise' the entire bridge/sounding board in that area. Could it do that if in fact
there were any true downbearing present?

 >  This piano has agraffes on most of the treble bridge, set in a cut-out
 >notch in the front half of the bridge, which allows the strings to pass
 >through
 >the agraffe and also bear on the bridge itself.

 <<Thus, the upward pressure at the agraffe, in front, is countered by the
 down pressure at the rear of the bridge.>>
Nope, I don't believe so, read the above......

Jim Bryant (FL)