Sohmer Agraffe Bridges - Photos wanted! ?

Jean-Jacques Granas jjgranas@zigzag.pl
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:15:09 +0100

David and List,

I have never seen it, but I have been told that Stuart pianos from the =
Land Down Under also have this agraffe set-up on their bridges or =
something like that. I also wouldn't mind seeing a picture of it, but my =
understanding is that the agraffes are of the type that are split down =
the midddle and look (from above) as a big screw head (flat =
screwdriver), with one of the sides lower than the other and with holes =
for the strings drilled at the base of the taller side. I've often seen =
such agraffes on various pianos. I wonder if this is what Stuart pianos =
have on their bridges.

As far as the ripple effect is concerned (just think of the wonderful =
implications on sound propagation down the soundboard, ha ha ), I think =
that could be solved by setting the agraffes on the bridge pointing, =
alternately, towards the front or the back of the instrument. This, as I =
see it, and I may be wrong, would:=20
a:    reduce downbearing to symbolic proportions (not THAT good a =
thing),=20
b:    assure good contact of the strings with the bridge (VERY good =
thing),
c:    eliminate soundboard ripple-related angst (DEBATABLE ...)

The major hitch here (no pun intended), is that it would subject the =
bridge to strain that could easily lead it to convulsions. Possible =
solution: 3-inch wide bridges fitted with titanium reinforcement braces =
... ???  Aw well, maybe not ...

Jean-Jacques Granas

=20