OOOOPSSSSS Re: what is downbearing

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 06:59:03 -0600

>For example on S&S where there are
>originally 12 notes strung with #17 wire............ with the vast difference
>between the length of the first note strung and the last note strung the vast
>difference in tensions is kinda mindnumbing when you try to apply common
>sense on our genral rule of thumbs to the problem....

-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

>Jim Bryant (FL)

Hi Jim,

But those unisons are all supposed to produce different fundamental
pitches, which tends to level the tension differences somewhat, and is
presumably part of the process by which the wire sizes were chosen in the
first place. The per-string  tension difference from the first of those
#17s to the last is just under 20 pounds (about 57 pounds for the unison)
in the example I have here, with the unison down bearing force being under
a pound difference.

Just a pinch of perspective.

Ron N