Sohmer Agraffe Bridges

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 07:39:28 EST

Greetings,
  So far:
 Jim wrote:
 >  Than there are the bridge agraffe thingees, like Ed's little Sohmer
>  > grand which actually have 'upbearing'
>  >in a portion of the scale and 'downbearing' in another portion of th
scale(JB)

>  Not quite.  As Ed Foote described it: (DAVID)
>
>  Yes "quite" without regard to how Ed described it. Any downbearing on the
>back of the agraffed bridge is a function of the upbearing on the agraffe and
>not downbearing as we know and use the term. Ever seen a busted agraffe
>down by
>the tuning web...Those little suckers just pop right on up there don't they?
>Wellllllll that is what also happens on an agraffed bridge when one of them
>break.
>Could it do that if in fact there were any true downbearing present?
>> Does  anyone have a good picture of an agraffe bridge that could be
posted to resolve this, soon to turn violent, debate?  Lacking such a
photo, anyone with a relevant model in front of them who would venture an
opinion?  As I am remembering, the net effect of this config was to put a
major ripple in the soundboard under the bridge.  <<

   Violent?  With a "Cupid Model" grand piano??  Hell yea,  we techs are a
psychotic lot, no?  Or was that supposed to read "Violet" as in the color of
love....

    Actually,  I took my Lowell bearing gauge and eyeballs to this piano,
measured the bearing, and examined the board.  It is difficult to really tell
what the ripple effect (not to be confused with feelings of omnipotence that
follow drinking three bottles of Ripple), on this board might be, since there is a
maple plate that runs the full length of the bridge on the bottom of the
soundboard, which makes normal crown determination somewhat of a problem.  The
ribs are notched over this plate,(more on that later).
    The downbearing is not totally unconventional, but bears (dang right
that's a pun) mentioning.
    The top octave, which has no agraffes on the bridge, has a LOT of
deflection in the normal sense.  With the tool leveled on the speaking length, the
bridge measures higher in front, and the strings certainly angle their way down
to the duplex bar in front of the hitch pins.  It looks a little excessive but
the top octave on this little piano really screams.  Maybe it is worth
mentioning that the C8 string length is 2.20 inches!  (Do I hear the scalers
starting to scream, too?)

    Assume all measurements with the Lowell gauge begin with leveling it on
the speaking length, and all deviations are in contrast to this baseline.   At
C6 the string definitely rises from the back of the agraffe to the
back(distal) side of the bridge, so the agraffe would pop up if the threads broke.
However, from the back edge of the bridge to the hitch pin, there is a downward
angle to the string, so I read this as indicating that the total bearing pressure
at this string is downward. The same holds true for the next octave or so.
  At C5, I notice that the downward angle in the backstring has approached
zero, yet there is still a certain amount of rise from the back of the agraffe
to the distal edge of the bridge.  This may be an area where the bearing is
actually trying to lift the soundboard.  Or it may result in a zero pressure
either way.  Hard to tell.
   Below C4, the bearing once again returns to normal cumulative downward
pressure, with the aforementioned rise from agraffe to distal edge of bridge.
The bass, which has no agraffes, exhibits a large amount of downbearing.
  My feeling is that the agraffes were an acoustical endeavor and that the
board originally had coventional downbearing throughout. The one section near C5
where the the backstring and speaking length were at the same angle,
interrupted by the small rise from agraffe to bridge, is where I normally see boards
flatten out with age.
   Now, about those cut-out bridges.  In the area of zero deflection (C5),  I
notice that there is a small break in the glue joint between the notch in the
rib and that long continuous maple plate.  This break is wider at the front,
making it appear that the bridge has attempted to roll back,(distally).   For
this to happen,  I believe that the downbearing had to have been lost and the
bridge was slightly rolled backwards in this section.  This is also the most
tonally deficient area of the piano, which, without a doubt, is either simply
coincidental or irrefutable proof that bridge roll kills sustain.  Take your
pick.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT