Lowell Gauge...was Down Bearing

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 20:19:01 EST

Joe writes:
<< >I think you need to read the instructions for the Lowell gauge again.<G>
If
>I recall, the tool is "zeroed" on the strings ON the bridge and all other
>measurements are taken from that point. >>

  Ah, yes, that is in the directions, but what do they know about the
labyrinth that I call my mind?

    I baseline off the speaking length because it allows me to understand the
rest of the string more easily.  The bridgecap's value as a reference is
less,to my way of thinking, because it has been planed, the bridge may have rolled
a little, and I don't know if the string has buried itself in the front or
back edge.
   Once I am zeroed on the speaking length, then the angle on the bridge
tells me where the string is going, and the angle on the backstring indicates what
sort of bearing pressure is occurring at that point.
  I suppose the most compelling reason I begin with the speaking length is
that my last 10 years or so of measuring these beasts and listening to what
comes out of them, and then taking them apart and changing stuff and putting them
back together and listening and trying to make some sense out of what I have
wrought,(not to be confused with waxing roth) has all taken place with the
gauge's readings from this baseline.  So,  even if my intuition is misguided, the
windage has already been accounted for and there are less surprises all the
time.
   Validity of information is great, but I can't let the facts get in the way
of what I know...
Regards,
Ed