Lowell Gauge...was Down Bearing

Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:44:50 -0500

At 08:19 PM 2/21/2004 -0500, Ed Foote wrote:
>The bridgecap's value as a reference is less,to my way of thinking, because
>  it has been planed, the bridge may have rolled
>a little, and I don't know if the string has buried itself in the front or
>back edge.

Ed-
I have been on a bit of an inarticulate crusade about this for a number of
years. I tried talking to Tom Lowell about it some time ago, but without
much success.  Now I'd be happy enough if he just starts making them again.

What you mention above is, to my experience, not the exception, but the
rule.  While lacking hands-on rebuilding experience, I suspect that the
initial stringing process exerts enough force on the front edge of the
bridge to compress, or bury, which, subsequently forms a gap when the
overall bridge height comes down.

To the point, as Ron N pointed out, the spacing of the feet of the gauge
are of no consequence.  That would apply only with a 3 foot gauge (rocker
or dial).  In fact, what I do is compress the feet of the gauge as close as
possible, about 1/4".  By carefully balancing (the hard part) on the bridge
string segment, and moving from front to rear, or reverse, you can SEE the
exact shape of the string on the bridge surface.  I ALWAYS find a
considerable curvature, the angular implications of which differ from what
would be true for the "theoretical" flat surface we imagine when we extend
the gauge's feet the full distance between the front and rear bridge pins.

What's more, the measurement of that first 1/4" (less, if possible) of the
bridge-string segment is the only reference which is valid in assessing the
quality of the front bearing.

 From recent discussions, I don't know if negative front bearing is viewed
as an issue of much concern any longer, but, in any case, I think all this
might help the consistency of the information people supply with this tool.

David Skolnik