Sohmer Agraffe Bridges - Photos wanted! ?

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:09:36 +0200

Re: Sohmer Agraffe Bridges - Photos wanted! ?Hello Ron O!
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Overs Pianos=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2004 1:18 AM
  Subject: Re: Sohmer Agraffe Bridges - Photos wanted! ?

  I converted them to greyscale to reduce the image size for the web.
What are the agraffes made of? Brass?

  I doubt if his bridge will have structural problems due to the =
laminations or the absence of a cap, since the agraffes aren't quite as =
hard on the bridge as a conventional pinning set up, but the 24 mm =
bridge height of the Stuart is probably too low. To my knowledge there =
is only one other contemporary concert grand manufacturer who uses 24 mm =
low bridges. Neither have inspired emulation.
Who is this manufacturer?

  I'm not sure. More than a rule would be required to ball-park it. So =
far I haven't gotten around to making a device for measuring it. =
Furthermore, the ribbing is very light (typical rib sections 20 mm wide =
by 20 - 21 mm deep -19 of them on the concert piano) so that it wouldn't =
stand for much in way of down bearing force.
Do you happen to have a picture of the Stuart piano's soundboard? I'd =
like to see both sides.

  Indeed, but I'm not sure that effective clamping of the string to the =
bridge is all we should be striving for. I suspect that down bearing =
might be required for the effective transmission of the lower partials. =
Now I realise that in a number of posts from credible members of this =
list, it has been claimed that down bearing is not necessary for the =
production of satisfactory tone, but I remain unconvinced at this stage.
What makes you think that lower partials won't be transmitted unless =
there is some downbearing? I
f I understand things right, and downbearing stiffens the soundboard, =
then it should also mean that low frequencies are less readily =
transmitted. I might have understood this the wrong way though.

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com