Lowell Gauge...was Down Bearing

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:34:10 -0500

Dear Bearing Heads-

There are a few questions afoot (sorry Ed) right now within this thread. I
think it might be easier to combine my replies in one post, except for John
Hartman's, which deserves its own.

To begin by clarifying a point raised by Jim Bryant:

>Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 21:54:17 -0500 (EST)
>From: JIMRPT@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Lowell Gauge...was Down Bearing
>David;
>  "Negative front bearing" is most difinitely an issue of concern...don't
>confuse a discussion of bridge agraffe thingees to apply to convential
>bridges...or am I reading you wrong?
>Jim Bryant (FL)

You are and I'm not. (my attempt at a Nossmanesque reply).    This current
thread derives, to varying degrees (sorry) from the following:

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:38:11 -0500 (EST)
From: A440A@aol.com
Subject: hearts on fire

Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:11:08 -0500 (EST)
From: Alpha88x@aol.com
Subject: what is downbearing?

Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 15:02:10 -0800
From: Joseph Garrett <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Lowell Gauge...was Down Bearing

My concerns about the use of the Lowell gauge and about negative
downbearing are not being directed to the Sohmer bridge agraffe
configuration, at the moment.  While that is where the discussion began,
the present thread  "Re: Lowell Gauge...was Down Bearing" addresses the use
of the gauge in examining conventional bridges.

At 12:48 PM 2/22/2004 +0100, RicB  wrote:

>Skolnik seems to raise the point (as I read it) that the difference
>between the ideal flat surface top of the bridge... (yeilding two seperate
>angles) and the more real life condition of the string approaching a
>condition where it is actually curved around the bridge top is significant
>in terms of figuring downbearing.  Is it ?? I would have thought you could
>have figured the middle spot on the highest point of the string on the
>bridge (no matter how long) as a single point where the front and back
>lengths meet and create a single angle... more or less forming a simple
>triangle (with the straight line of the undeflected string) which could be
>interpreted as tension instead of distance and solved with simple vector
>geometry.

and