Lowell Gauge...was Down Bearing

Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:48:17 +0100

Strikes me as a very straight forward way of doing more or less the same
thing as what Nossaman suggests doing with the Lowel gauge really. You
are useing the speaking length as a kind of baseline, and figureing the
rest from that... albiet without bubbles bubbling around.. :)

Skolnik seems to raise the point (as I read it) that the difference
between the ideal flat surface top of the bridge... (yeilding two
seperate angles) and the more real life condition of the string
approaching a condition where it is actually curved around the bridge
top is significant in terms of figuring downbearing.  Is it ?? I would
have thought you could have figured the middle spot on the highest point
of the string on the bridge (no matter how long) as a single point where
the front and back lengths meet and create a single angle... more or
less forming a simple triangle (with the straight line of the
undeflected string) which could be interpreted as tension instead of
distance and solved with simple vector geometry.

Cheers
RicB