Lowell Gauge...was Down Bearing

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 22:53:27 -0500

Bearing Heads,

I have been following this topic with a little amusement. Years ago a
fellow tech lent me his newest gadget, the lowell Bearing gauge. I gave
it a try but it was no more useful or accurate than the simple tools I
had been using. I returned the tool. When the tech asked my opinion I
said something noncommittal but polite, I didn't have the heart to tell
him he just wasted $100.

Keep your bubble gauges I will stick to this e
simple method I learned from a friend that worked at the Steinway
factory. It's accurate, fast and cheap and has been around forever.

Any straight grained hardwood will due, I like maple or cheery. Make
them in several lengths for each section of the tenor and treble. I Use
the same metal stacking gauges I use when setting the bearing with the
strings. If you must have angular deflections you simple look it up on a
chart. Since it reads the bearing in the same way I set bearing it gives
me fast and comprehensible feed back. It is interesting to see the
fluctuation due to changes in environmental RH.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979

Piano Technicians Journal
Journal Illustrator/Contributing Editor

John Hartman
The Universal, How-to, Hands-on Illustrator