Sohmer

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:50:35 -0800

I recall that I did some extensive work to a 7'2" Sohmer a couple or three
years ago.  It was a piano teacher that was a good friend of my daughter.
The action was a disaster.  Hammers blocking strings, new key tops rubbing
each other etc.  Her regular tuner (An RPT from our chapter that I've never
seen at a meeting or convention) told her the piano wasn't worth rebuilding.

I only worked on the action and now even the professor of Piano at Santa
Clara U. is impressed with it.

I went to see it yesterday to take pictures.

Betty's piano 1 shows a felt behind the agraffe on the bridge installed
before I saw it.  I left well enough alone.  The agraffes go up to the top.
You might notice that the rod behind the felt has sunk into the bridge on
one side more than the other.  Picture 2 shows this in greater detail.

Picture 3 shows that in the top section it differs only in that the rod is
smaller.  Tilting of the rod is greater but doesn't show up well in the low
resolution shot.

That was the first piano with bridge agraffes I'd seen.

Yesterday I measured the speaking length of note 88.  Would you believe 62
mm?  Wow.  I'm sure this piano has been restrung.  I'm getting curious
enough to go back one of these days and measure the complete scale.  It's a
great sounding piano, sound board cracks and all, and the strings haven't
broken yet.  Amazing.

More to come

Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.