Lowell Gauge...morphing back to REVISITED

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:47:15 -0500

At 09:21 PM 2/21/2004 -0600, Ron Nossman wrote:

>>> From recent discussions, I don't know if negative front bearing is=20
>>> viewed as an issue of much concern any longer, but, in any case, I=20
>>> think all this might help the consistency of the information people=20
>>> supply with this tool.
>>>
>>>David Skolnik
>
>Of course it's an issue of concern. Why wouldn't it be?

Hi Ron N

Sitting in my draft file since 2/2/04 is my attempt to effectively respond=
=20
to your last post in the thread "No downbearing: REVISITED".  I know you=20
felt I was not being clear in what I was trying to say at that time, and,=20
while I felt quite frustrated by the communication break down, I also felt=
=20
as though the interchange had lost the interest of the list, in general.=20
The inevitable consequence of this lack of resolution of what are probably=
=20
semantic misunderstandings is that the same disagreements continue to=20
reappear.  Let me try again to ask my questions clearly and/ or make sure I=
=20
am understanding your position correctly.

WARNING!! Any perception of 'tone' or attitude is a function of either the=
=20
reader's projection or the writer's fatigue.

>>downbearing is to compress the board to raise it's impedance to meet the=
=20
>>requirements of the string scale. It isn't to enhance the coupling=20
>>between the string and the bridge surface. The bridge pins do that quite=
=20
>>nicely.

How would you define "coupling", in this case?  Does the front edge of the=
=20
bridge play any role in defining the string termination?  If so, how is=20
that function affected by 1) no contact (string climbing pin- see next=20
quote  2) glancing contact with no force 3) some downward pressure?  If it=
=20
does not, does it have any function other than supporting the bridge pin?

>I don't see any possibility of a string riding up a bridge pin unless the=
=20
>pin is near vertical, and the bearing is negative. Bridge pins set at a=20
>20=B0 slant, with a 10=B0 offset angle will hold a string to a bridge top=
 even=20
>with some negative bearing.

Are you saying that a string riding up a bridge pin would require BOTH=20
negative downbearing AND near-straight bridge pins?  It's true that,=20
without the bridge pins, there could be NO negative downbearing, and that=20
until the string DOES move up, negative front bearing simply represents a=20
potential instability, though, as a component of negative net downbearing,=
=20
it also represents an absence of impedance-enhancing loading, albeit on one=
=20
string.  In any case, it's hard for me to believe that you have not=20
encountered innumerable examples of strings which visibly settle downward=20
when tapped (gently).

>The side bearing from this offset, and the slant of the bridge pin, clamps=
=20
>the string to the bridge top.

It's the "clamping" concept I'm having trouble with.  If there is positive=
=20
downbearing, the need for further clamping would seem somewhat=20
redundant.  If there is negative downbearing,  and thus, no bridge loading,=
=20
what is the purpose of clamping the string to the bridge surface?  Wouldn't=
=20
the vibrational energy be conducted to the bridge by the pins, even without=
=20
the bridge surface contact?

My problem with the concept and terminology of "clamping" is that it=20
encourages an image of the string exerting a vertical pulling and pushing=20
force upon the bridge, which I believe is inaccurate.

DS asked:

Ron N also said:
>  if the soundboard wasn't designed for zero to negative bearing, I surely=
=20
> wouldn't accept anyone's assurances that zero to negative bearing=20
> measured in the piano wasn't a problem.

Good.  So, what are your concerns with negative downbearing?

David Skolnik RPT, DBH