Lowell Gauge...morphing back to REVISITED

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 07:22:40 -0600

>How would you define "coupling", in this case?

The pin angle combined with the string tension and offset angle forces the=
=20
string against the bridge top. It's a clamp system.

>Does the front edge of the bridge play any role in defining the string=20
>termination?

Yes. It's what the pin angle, string tension, and offset angle clamp the=20
string TO, ideally.

>If so, how is that function affected by 1) no contact (string climbing=20
>pin- see next quote

Strings don't climb pins unless something is severely wrong, but the=20
termination edge is crushed by cyclic wood dimensional changes with=20
humidity swings pushing the string up and down the pin. It's very possible=
=20
for a string to be resting on the bridge top and not be touching the notch=
=20
edge, but it hasn't climbed the pin. It's crushed the cap. At that point,=20
the loose pin flexes and flagpoles and the false beat happens.

>2) glancing contact with no force

Same as above.

>3) some downward pressure?

At a certain point, enough pressure will be generated at the edge to=20
prevent the pin flagpoling.

>   If it does not, does it have any function other than supporting the=20
> bridge pin?

The cap supplies the other half of the clamp, as well as supporting the pin.

>Are you saying that a string riding up a bridge pin would require BOTH=20
>negative downbearing AND near-straight bridge pins?

Probably, in a typical situation. It would take a whole lot of negative=20
bearing to pull a string at a 10=B0 side bearing up a pin that's slanted=
 20=B0.

>  In any case, it's hard for me to believe that you have not encountered=20
> innumerable examples of strings which visibly settle downward when tapped=
=20
> (gently).

Of course. But it's because you're inducing a curve into the string to=20
force it down to the crushed bridge edge by tapping, not because the string=
=20
has climbed the pin.

>It's the "clamping" concept I'm having trouble with.  If there is positive=
=20
>downbearing, the need for further clamping would seem somewhat redundant.

Except that's backward. That clamp provides considerably more coupling of=20
string to bridge than does downbearing. Try to pull a string up off a=20
bridge. Now pull the bridge pins, tune it back up to pitch and try again.=20
Without the pins, there's not much keeping the string on the bridge.

>If there is negative downbearing,  and thus, no bridge loading, what is=20
>the purpose of clamping the string to the bridge surface?

Because the bridge surface is there and handy for such a use, and the=20
traditional pinning method is relatively effective, cheap, and easy to=20
build. And since negative bearing in a conventional system isn't a=20
desirable condition, it isn't useful to use it as a standard by which to=20
justify the rest of the configuration.

>Wouldn't the vibrational energy be conducted to the bridge by the pins,=20
>even without the bridge surface contact?

Yes. If they supplied a positive and rigid enough clamp, they would then=20
become an agraffe. In a conventional system that isn't in structural=20
failure, the string is contacting the bridge top.

>My problem with the concept and terminology of "clamping" is that it=20
>encourages an image of the string exerting a vertical pulling and pushing=
=20
>force upon the bridge, which I believe is inaccurate.

How can you reconcile this belief with the belief that strings climb bridge=
=20
pins? What supposedly gets them up there? Believe what you like, but the=20
string does exert a vertical pushing and pulling (or lesser pushing) force=
=20
on the bridge.

>Good.  So, what are your concerns with negative downbearing?

Overall downbearing in a conventional design: The soundboard isn't=20
compressed, so there will be an impedance mismatch between the board and=20
string scale (killer octave). The coupling between the bridge is=20
compromised. Not eliminated, but less positive. The piano typically sounds=
=20
lousy there.

Ron N=20