Lowell Gauge...was Down Bearing (Hartman tool)

Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:33:24 -0500

John -

I apologize.  For some reason I completely missed the links to the photos,
which were up to your usual standards.  It must have been the hour, or my
initial reaction to the your attitude, as I interpreted it, or being
distracted by the "Hands-on Illustrator". In any case, and apart from what
tends to come across in your tone, whether or not you intend it, my point
is that you, more than slightly condescendingly, dismiss the value in our
knowing any more than what you consider essential for what you do.  Your
system, as you say, tells you nothing about bridge tilt, or termination
anomalies. Also, it does allow the possibility of a false zero reading. To
say, in your semi-mocking manner that "you guess somewhere there are pianos
with serous bridge roll" seems either uninformed or disingenuous.  Bridge
roll, implying, I believe, a deformation of the soundboard, is not the
only, or even the most common, of the bridge problems we encounter on old
or new pianos.  Are you basically saying that the issues, such as negative
front or net bearing, which are illuminated by this tool, are unimportant
to you because you are rebuilding anyway, or because you disagree that they
adversely impact the piano's performance, other things being correct?

All that aside, I'd love one of them wooden things for my next birthday.

Regards-

David Skolnik RPT, DBH