Lowell Gauge...was Down Bearing (Hartman tool)

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 15:33:04 -0500

David Skolnik wrote:
>  Also, it does allow the
> possibility of a false zero reading.

O.K. I see. If my tool shows zero bearing there could still be bearing
due to some weird tilt to the bridge. I am not too worried about it, it
would take a lot of tilt to be a significant amount of bearing.

> To say, in your semi-mocking manner
> that "you guess somewhere there are pianos with serous bridge roll"
> seems either uninformed or disingenuous.

I never use a semi-mocking tone only the full version. When I am mocking
you will know it. I was just pointing out the limits of my experience. I
work almost exclusively on old Steinway and M&H grands. While I have
seen examples of minor rolled bridges and occasional areas with negative
bearing, like the top end of bass bridges, for the most part I could not
blame the pore tone I was hearing on these factors. It seams to me that
more general factors like a lack of crown and loss of down bearing were
the main factors. Other things like old rusty strings, loose bridge
pins, worn hammers poor voicing and a million other things are all more
likely cause of poor tone.

> Are you basically saying that the issues, such as negative front or net
> bearing, which are illuminated by this tool, are unimportant to you
> because you are rebuilding anyway, or because you disagree that they
> adversely impact the piano's performance, other things being correct?

As I said, it is the total bearing I am interested in, variations in
front or back bearing within the small tolerances I see on the pianos I
work on are not going to result in any tonal characteristics I can hear
so I just ignore these. As I also said my experience is limited so
somewhere there probably are pianos made either by design or mistake
with horribly misshapen bridges that cause tonal problem all on their
own. Thankfully I don't have to work on these.

Though I don't see it very often bridges can roll forward due to unequal
string tension. If you pull up the strings on a piano that has not been
tuned for a long time and is considerable flat you run the risk of
pulling the bridge forward. If the strings are rusty they can't equalize
in tension over the bridge. A lot of force is then pulling the top of
bridge and it can and does roll the bridge forward distorting the
soundboard.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin
Grand Pianos Since 1979

Piano Technicians Journal
Journal Illustrator/Contributing Editor

John Hartman
The Universal, How-to, Hands-on Illustrator